Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday November 10, 2008

Entering Jaffa Gate

Today was our day off and we set off early to walk the wall. The guide book said this adventure was not for the elderly or infirm - that instantly became a challenge to us. We are neither ELDERLY nor INFIRM and we set out to prove that. To which I should say; stupid, stupid, stupid. Early into the walk I told Judy that we should do it again and count the number of stairs we went up and down. Before we finished I was saying I did not care! The wall walk was awesome and I am glad we did it ... but as the kids say we have been there, done that and don't have to do it again. However since we started at the Jaffa gate, went North came around the corner and crossed over the New Gate, Damascus Gate and Herod's Gate exiting at the Lion's Gate near Temple Mount we want to go back one day and go South to the Dung gate near the Wailing Wall.

All in all the walk on the wall was a great experience. We are exhausted. This is definitely a Tylenol PM night! We have walked so much and hurt in so many places sleeping may be difficult... we are certainly getting old!

We came back to the Garden and have been resting. Back to work tomorrow and we are excited about that. We ran into a couple of ladies, up on the wall, who were in the Garden last week and were in one of the groups I took around.
The golden Dome of the Rock stands on Temple Mount near where the Temple once stood.
The Mount of Olives - Gethsemene
We leave you with this from Psalm 134:3; "The LORD who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yesterday, I was able to watch the Garden Tomb DVD Judy gave me. It just takes my breath away. I was wondering if you feel closer to Jesus there, since you are walking in His land. I just have goosebumps reading your emails and looking at your pictures. For me, to be there, would be such an intimate personal experience. And I just really praise you for your candidness, and openness in sharing your experiences. I can't even get myself to watch "The Passion of the Christ". Are you allowed to actually go inside the tomb were Jesus was laid? And also, how do you answer questions concerning there being two tombs? I just know that I have had some "unexplainable" experiences in my life. Some that have caused the hair to stand on end (but who know it is me....crazy). Do you feel a presence there? Do you feel it to be the most holy of land vs anywhere else in the world? Sorry, if these are "wacky" questions, but I do feel your excitement there. It must be a "natural high"! Do you wake open every morning and jump out of bed, like when you were a kid on Christmas morning? Could you also tells us about the food? Have you made any Jewish friends there? Religion wise, is the city divided into different sections? Are there different types of Jewish followers there? I pray for you and Judy it seems all day. Everytime I think of you. I love you I love you I love you! PS If you can only answer one question....answer the food one hahahaha Wendi

Steve said...

I think that it is pretty convenient that you chose to "walk the wall" today, considering that the Monks were brawling in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Those pictures could have been copied from slides take in the 80s!

Merls said...

I am glad you are enjoying your job and being able to see the sites. If you did not take very good walking shoes with you, you better find some.

Keep the pictures and information coming.

Merl