Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thomas Road Baptist Church & Liberty University

We had a fun morning at the Garden Tomb this morning. We hosted Rev. Jonathan Falwell and his family along with over 300 people from Lynchburg, VA and Liberty University. Jonathan is the son of the late Dr. Jerry Falwell. Judy and I both are alumni of Liberty University. We were able to renew friendships with both Jonathan and his sister Jeannie. Our children went to school with them back in the 70's and early 80's at Lynchburg Christian Academy in Lynchburg, VA.


Rev. Jonathan Falwell

We were very pleased with Jonathan's sermon at the Garden this morning. The staff was very impressed and had many good comments to make about him and the way everyone with him conducted themselves. Judy told Jonathan that his father would be proud of him and I agree. Jonathan is a godly young man. He and everyone involved in the service conducted themselves in a Christ honoring humble manner.

Judy and Jeannie Falwell

I met Jonathan, his wife and children as they entered the Garden. He greeted me as though he had just seen us last week! I thought how like your father! Dr. Falwell never forgot a face or a name, was always gracious, and always made you feel as though you were the most important person in the world to him. Jeannie was in the group that I took around (there were 7 groups in all from Liberty). I did not recognize her when she asked "is Laurie here?" I was stunned and said "do you mean my daughter, Laurie?"
She did but it was not until 20 minutes later that it dawned on me who she was! Duh! She is very sweet. These kids are a tremendous tribute to their parents. My only regret for the day was that their mother, Macel, did not come with them.


The students were awesome. I sent special messages back to Liberty to our grand daughter, Kristin - a Freshman at LU. I hope every one of them is delivered. We met one of Kristin's future teachers in the School of Nursing. Kristin, you will love our messages!


We recieved special greetings from Josh and Dawn - long time family friends in Lynchburg.
Sharing the Garden with friends is a very special treat and we are looking forward to doing that more this week as friends from Tampa come to visit us. Later this month Dr. Kroll will visit as well - yet another long time family friend! Can't wait. We leave March 31st to return to Tampa.

No comments: