Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Home in Tampa...

http://www.gardentomb.com/
Melton4Him@msn.com

As of today, we are at home in Tampa, Florida. But, as those of you who know us are fully aware, that can change as soon as the sun comes up. Our motto is; "Have Passport, Will Travel!"

And "change" is on our radar screen. We will be leaving November 2nd to begin a three month tour of duty at the Garden Tomb in Jerusalem. And for those of you who are just curious enough to wonder - we will be voting before we leave. Florida is one of those states that has an early voting policy.

We have visited Israel on four different occasions (once with our children) and on each occasion our hearts have been drawn to Israel (our second home?). At some point along the way God put in our hearts a strong desire to return to the Garden Tomb as volunteers one day. That dream has become a reality.

Several months ago Al approached the Garden Tomb Association regarding becoming volunteers. Long story short, we applied and have been accepted. We will be coming home to the States over Christmas to fulfill commitments that were made a long time ago and returning to Jerusalem the first of January.

What will we do there? We will work. Al will do gardening, Judy will work, in the gift shop, Al will give lectures to tourists about the garden which include talking about why we believe this was the burial site of Jesus and present the gospel... all of which we are very excited about. We will do whatever we have to do for the glory of God.

We will be living in an apartment in the garden grounds. I see that hand, the one waving furiously "take me, take me, I want to go with you!" And I see that look, the one that is asking; "are you out of your mind?" NO we are not out of our minds. We have never been more in our minds. Our wonderful Lord has graciously fulfilled one of the greatest "desires of our hearts" and we are incredibly excited!

You know how much we love going on Mission Trips (and we will continue to do so - Mali and the Philipinnes are still on our radar screen for 2009) but think of this as the Ultimate Missions Trip. How exciting to be sharing our faith every day in the Garden. Please pray for us as we get ready to go, for traveling mercies, for our children and grandchildren especially (being gone for so long will not be easy for any of us), for the multitude of things that we need to get done before we leave and that God will help us develop relationships in Jerusalem.

When we retired, we purposed to serve Him for the rest of our lives. Why? Because we want Him to use us for his glory! God has given to us some pretty awesome opportunities to serve Him over the past 6 years. And we praise Him for each one of them.

8 comments:

bereanboarder said...

Well Al,

if you show up at Christmas with 6 camels, 12 goats, and no Judy we won't have to ask any questions!

What a great opportunity. So good to hear from you all.

R.G. & Janice Murray

www.rgmurray.com

a tom said...

Please please please pleeeeaaassssee may I go with you? Wes said he was fine with taking care of the children for 3 months. =~)
I am so very happy for you all that this dream will now be a reality. What an amazing opportunity. I can just see the two of you over there having a ball.
Love to you both!!
(your favorite niece)

Allana Martian said...

Very, very, very cool! What a blast you will have! We have groups from our church that go there every year. Now I can say, "look for my Aunt and Uncle while you are there, and say hello to them!" Will you be able to stay in touch through your blog while there? Can't wait to hear all your stories about your time there.

Mary and John said...

Dear Pastor and Judy,
I am sure this is like a dream come true to you. I remember how passionately you would speak about the Jewish people being the "apple of God's eye" and how wonderful it was to visit Israel.
God bless YOUR HEARTS!
Love,
Mary and John

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! How awesome that you get to go there for three months. You are so blessed. I wish Joe, Christian and I could come with you. It's one of my biggest dreams to go there one day. Hopefully one day soon that dream will come true.

God bless you both on your journey and your stay there

Julie, Joe and Christian

Aaron and Heather said...

Wow! That is quite an amazing opportunity! I know you will have an amazing time..and can't wait to see all of the pictures!


Heather- aka
Mrs Sparky (lol)

bereanboarder said...

To Al & Judy Melton

Dear Al & Judy, you have been an example to me my entire life. From the time I was a young man you have been godly people of vision. You saw potential in young man and I very much attribute your training, discipling, and caring, to me being the person I am today. I still remember the night at youth group in Henry Paul’s living room when you called me up front to lead the singing for the first time. It was my first time leading in a church setting. I have been doing so ever since. Thank-you for setting me on that road, may your reward in heaven be great.
I don’t know the details of what-all occurred as that church began to radically shift directions under new leadership, but looking back now as an adult, I know you stood up for me, and protected me, and continued to allow me a place of leadership.
Though you had children of your own, financial obligations, and a church with many contentious people, yet you made the sacrifice to continue to lead the youth group. At the time I took it for granted, now I would like thank-you from the bottom of my heart. It did make a difference, I’m living proof of it.
We had great times, growing times, hilarious times and sober times. I look back and think my faults must have been so overpowering then (I can hardly stand myself even now ;-) but you looked beyond them and encouraged me to be better. Thank-you.
Thank-you for being an encourager when so many people were critical, selfish, and contentious. Thank-you for the snow camps, the banquets, the Bible teaching, the counsel, and the encouragement. Thank-you for being another mature Christian man I could look up to, pattern my life after, and confide in.
Thank-you for your example as a father, a husband, and a church leader. You know the saying it’s not so much what is taught as caught? (I think you first taught that to me) Well I was able to catch a lot from you: your spirit, your attitude, your sacrifice, your desire to follow God and your desire to teach a bunch of dysfunctional kids how to do it with you. Thank-you.
I know we’ve both had our ups and downs in ministry over the years, I know the battle inflicts wounds to the core of our soul, but even in the midst of your own fiercest attacks you extend comfort and support to Janice and I. Thank-you, thank-you both.
No matter what the future may bring, we’ve been honored to count such fine people as you as friends.

With deepest affection and respect R.G. & Janice Murray.

Edna Hickman said...

I guess you are getting my messages but I haven't seen any postings I've made. Am enjoying my tour of David's City. I can tell you are also. Love Edna